Thursday, March 4, 2010

Always There / George J. Dance


Always There

I never got you all the things I could've
Or gave you all the loving that I should've,
But you were with me with each breath of air.
What made me live was: You were always there.

I'd stay at work to close another deal, dear,
Then get home late to miss another meal, dear,
And you'd be sleeping; but I'd say a prayer
Of thankfulness that you were always there.

That's why I can't believe it now, believe me.
I never thought that you would ever leave me.

I cannot understand why you must go now,
But have to face it – everyone says so now.
All I can do is know that if, somewhere,
There is a heaven, you are always there.

--
George J. Dance, 2010

[All rights reserved by the author - Used with permission]

4 comments:

  1. Passion in every line, I can feel the longing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.S. Mallari (Haiku & triolet, April 2010) is the publisher of POEMS about LOVE and LIFE (on Betty's BlogRoll).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sent a copy to Henry Conley to see what he thinks of adapting it to song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully penned heart felt sonnet. I appreciate where you place the couplet, tells me it does not have to always be at the end (me as a becoming poet). 11/11/10/10 syllable count daring, I appreciate George.

    Absence, longing, a loved one gone. Not sure if your poem is about unrequited love, perhaps, unrequited love... lorn.

    Thought of Victor Hugo's daughter Adele falling in LOVE with a soldier and spends her entire life chasing him around the world... he wants nothing to do with her... in fact is cruel to her... mocks her. I saw a movie version, quite compelling.

    "Adele syndrome is also known as "LOVE phobia syndrome", or "LOVE fever". The name derives from the tragic story of Adele Hugo - the youngest daughter of French novelist Victor Hugo and his wife Adele Foucher." Vintage Everyday

    A work of art: The Tempest/Bride of the Wind (1913) oil on canvas painting by Oskar Kokoschka, a self-portrait expressing his unrequited love for Alma Mahler (widow of composer Gustav Mahler).

    ReplyDelete