Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Accompaniment - Accompagnement /
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau

      
VIII

Accompaniment

I walk beside a joy
A joy that is not for me
A joy of mine that I cannot feel

I walk beside my self’s own joy
I hear my joy’s footsteps right beside me
But I cannot switch places on the sidewalk
I cannot put my feet in those prints and say
                                        look there I am

For now I am content with this company
But I secretly plot exchanges
By all sorts of operations
                                        by alchemies
By blood transfusions
By rearrangements of matter
                                        by balancing games

So that one day
       transposed
              I will be swept along
                            by the dance of those steps of joy
With the sound of footsteps fading away beside me
                            My own lost footfalls
             dying off to my left
Under the heels of a stranger
                                        who turns down a side street.

---
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau
translated by George J. Dance

[All rights reserve by the translator - used with permission]

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.


Accompagnement

Je marche à côté d'une joie
D'une joie qui n'est pas à moi
D'une joie à moi que je ne puis pas prendre

Je marche à côté de moi en joie
J'entends mon pas en joie qui marche à côté de moi
Mais je ne puis changer de place sur le trottoir
Je ne puis pas mettre mes pieds dans ces pas-là
                                        et dire voilà c'est moi

Je me contente pour le moment de cette compagnie
Mais je machine en secret des échanges
Par toutes sortes d'opérations, des alchimies,
Par des transfusions de sang
Des déménagements d'atomes
                                        par des jeux d'équilibre

Afin qu'un jour, transposé,
Je sois porté par la danse de ces pas de joie
Avec le bruit décroissant de mon pas à côté de moi
Avec la perte de mon pas perdu
                                        s'étiolant à ma gauche
Sous les pieds d'un étranger
                                        qui prend une rue transversale.

---
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau (1912-1943)
de Regards et Jeux dans L'espace, 1937

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada and the European Union]

Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau biography

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts after reading: A joy that is not for me yet mine, seen somehow, but not felt. My self's own joy... out of body joy (?). To feel one's own joy again. Once known, embodied joy. Joy but a memory, now a wish to feel again (?). Joy elusive, elusive joy...

    ReplyDelete