Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bird Cage - Cage d'oiseau /
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau


VII

Bird Cage

I am a bird cage
A bone cage
With a bird

The bird in my bone cage
Is death making its nest

When nothing is happening
I hear its wings ruffling 

And when I’ve laughed a lot
If I suddenly stop

I hear it chirping
Deep down
Like a tiny alarm

It is a bird held captive
Death in my bone cage

Wouldn't it like to fly away
Is it you who makes it stay
Or is it me
I can't say

It cannot leave until
Having eaten all
My heart
The blood source
With the life inside

It will have my soul in its beak.

Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau
translated by George J. Dance

Creative Commons License
Bird Cage by George J. Dance [translation of "Cage d'oiseau" by Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau] is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.



Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.
-----------------------

Cage d’oiseau

Je suis une cage d’oiseau
Une cage d’os
Avec un oiseau

L’oiseau dans ma cage d’os
C’est la mort qui fait son nid

Lorsque rien n’arrive
On entend froisser ses ailes

Et quand on a ri beaucoup
Si l’on cesse tout à coup

On l’entend qui recoule
Au fond
Comme un grelot

C’est un oiseau tenu captif
La mort dans ma cage d’os

Voudrait-il pas s’envoler
Est-ce vous qui le retiendrez
Est-ce moi
Qu’est-ce que c’est

Il ne pourra s’en aller
Qu’aprés avoir tout mangé
Mon coeur
La source du sang
Avec la vie dedans

Il aura mon âme au bec.

Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau (1912-1943)
de 
Regards et jeux dans l'éspace, 1937

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada and the European Union
]

Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau biography

No comments:

Post a Comment