Friday, February 25, 2011

No Support - C'est là sans appui /
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau


I - Playing

No Support

I don't feel well at all sitting in that chair
My worst malaise an armchair made for resting
Inevitably I’ll fall asleep and die there

But let me cross the rapids on the rocks
In short hops jump from this one leap to that
And find the mystic balance in between
That place of no support where I can rest

---
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau
translated by George J. Dance


[All rights reserved by the translator - used with permission]

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu.



Je ne suis pas bien du tout assis sur cette chaise
Et mon pire malaise est un fauteuil où l'on reste
Immanquablement je m'endors et j'y meurs.

Mais laissez-moi traverser le torrent sur les roches
Par bonds quitter cette chose pour celle-là
Je trouve l'équilibre impondérable entre les deux
C'est là sans appui que je me repose.

---
Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau (1912-1943)
de Regards et jeux dans l'éspace, 1937

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada and the European Union]

Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau biography

No comments:

Post a Comment