Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lucky Penny / George J. Dance


Lucky Penny

Hey there, Lucky Penny,
        Shining like brand new.
Hey there, Lucky Penny,
        Can I get lucky with you?

I saw you in an alleyway
        Shining in the sun.
I knew it was my lucky day,
        You were my lucky one.
So many guys had passed you by
        And left you all alone,
But I knew I just had to try
To pick you up and bring you home.

Hey there, Lucky Penny,
        Oh, what I would do
For a Lucky Penny.
       Let me get lucky with you.

I'd wanted you from long before,
       When I was just a lad.
I've had my share of luck, and more,
       But most of it was bad.
Each night before I'd go to sleep
       I'd dream about how grand
My life would be if I could keep
A Lucky Penny in my hand.

Hey there, Lucky Penny,
       Make my dreams come true.
Be my Lucky Penny.
        Let me get lucky with you.

My luck has changed from that day on.
        The good times have been many.
I don't care if my money's gone,
        I only need a Penny.
I never had a clue before
        That life could hold such thrills.
I wouldn't trade my Penny for
A billion brand-new dollar bills.

Hey there, Lucky Penny,
        Thanks are overdue.
You're my Lucky Penny.
        I got lucky with you.

~~
George J. Dance, 2007
from Doggerel, and other doggerel, 2015

[All rights reserved by the author - used with permission]

No comments:

Post a Comment