Saturday, April 26, 2014

Spring Longings / F.W. Bourdillon


Spring Longings

If I might be, for but one April tide,
     The blackbird, poet laureate to Queen Spring,
     And have such music given my lips, to sing
Among the woodlands, o'er the meadows wide,
How in my song were my queen deified
     In notes of deathless love, that should enring
     My perch with peering listeners, and bring
Spring memories, when Spring's delights had died!

For now in vain I sigh for such a voice,
     To utter aught of all the joys I take,
          Queen Spring, from all thy wonders,– flowers, and leaves,
And airs of heaven, and scents; that bid rejoice
     The heart, that weeps it knows not why, and wake
          A love past passion on the lengthening eves.

~~
Francis William Bourdillon (1852-1921)
from Among the Flowers, and other poems, 1878

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

Francis William Bourdillon biography

No comments:

Post a Comment